[G4] iPhoto sooo slow

Andrew T. Lynch atlynch at mac.com
Mon Apr 18 09:35:33 PDT 2005

Hi Raymond,
    Did you mean to respond to Kevin?  I (Andrew) am using iPhoto 5.0.2
with a very large library.  I found that performance on my old system
(a dual 450) was fine when my library was about 5000 images, but went
to heck when the library grew to its current size.

Cheers,
    Drew

On Apr 15, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Raymond E. Hardy wrote:

> I'm using iPhoto 4, 4000 image library, G4 QkSil 867, OS 10.3.8.. I
> believe
> that iPhoto 4 is much, much faster than the previous version. To me it
> seems
> to open quickly and responds quickly to tasks. Andrew, perhaps you are
> using
> one of the slower early versions of iPhoto. I'm about to install the
> upgrade
> to iPhoto 5 (which is supposed to offer important improvements) but I
> believe I read something about V. 5 being a bit slower and that Apple
> was
> offering a fix as a download - anyone know if this is true?
> Some of you may want to read this article which appeared in the WSJ-
> http://ptech.wsj.com/archive/solution-20050330.html
> Ray
>
>> This sounds extraordinarily slow.  I have used my 23,000 image library
>> on my 1Ghz powerbook, and it is significantly faster than you
>> describe.
>>   I still won't describe it as fast, though...
>>
>> -Drew
>>
>> On Apr 14, 2005, at 5:15 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:
>>
>>> I have been messing around with iPhoto a little bit today.  It is the
>>> first time i have used it since upgrading to OS 10.3.8.  For some
>>> reason, the beach ball will spin for over a minute before responding
>>> to anything I do.  When I highlight a photo to print, or to edit, it
>>> spins for ever.  When I resize my thumbnails in the library it does
>>> it
>>> too.  I only have 203 photos in the library.  Is that a lot?  Is