[G4] Disaappearing HD

RobertCBuitron rcbuitron at speakeasy.net
Tue Apr 19 11:38:30 PDT 2005

I'm seeking an explanation and help to resolve a problem I have with a
"disappearing" HD. I have a G4 mirrored doors drive, 10.3.x  OS. I
added two Maxtor 300GB HDs and a controller card (ACard). I initialized
(journeled) setting) both new drives. I partitioned one to hold the OS
and apps only (about 35 GB) and the rest for storage. The second 300 GB
is for storage and was not partitioned. This is the disappearing HD.
When I start up the computer, the HD appears with its contents visible
in an opened window. After working at the computer for some time (and I
haven't  measured the threshold when it does happen) that same HD  icon
disappears from the desktop. I double click on one of the other HD icons
to open a window and I see all the HDs in the upper left pane. When I
click on the (missing desktop icon) that specific HD in the upper left
pane nothing shows up in the right pane. When I go to "About this Mac"
in the Apple menu and click more info, click on SCSI, I see all the HDs
connected and designated with SCSI. However the missing one has changed
in name, model, and size. It's now  Maxtor Falcon with 2 TB. Maxtor does
not make any TB HDs but it does have a model called Falcon, which is
about 120 GB. I have re-initialized this HD twice without any success
to  resolving the problem. Also after restarting the machine I get a
message dialog box indicating that there's an unknown HD and do I want
to click  "initialize",  "cancel", or "eject". I click cancel. That
specific HD does not show up on the desktop and "About this Mac" shows
it as a Maxtor Falcon with 2 TB and nothing in it.

How can I stabilize this HD?  Could it be the kind of cable connecting
HD to the ACard. I received two cables with the Maxtor HDs and I
received a cable with the ACard. I used one Maxtor and one from ACard
due to HD placement and lengths of the cables. Could this be the source
of the problem?

Thanks,
Rob