[G4] access privileges

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Thu Apr 21 11:44:59 PDT 2005

On Apr 21, 2005, at 9:39 AM, Roxylee wrote:

> I am the computer's administrator and the kids have managed accounts,
> yet their folders are locked when I try to access them from my
> account.

That's as it should be, you nosy parker! You have the rights to
administer the computer (e.g., install new software), not to peek in
their private stuff. Only the root account has access everywhere.

> Any suggestions?

OK. If you really want to peek, assuming you have their logins and
passwords, I suggest su in Terminal (man su for details). Su allows to
authenticate yourself as another user to the system. Alternatively, you
can use sudo (which authenticates yourself as root). For instance, to
get a listing of the contents of the Documents folder

sudo ls -al /Users/<kid's account>/Documents/

Or you can enable the root account, and log in as root. However,
enabling and logging in as root is risky securitywise, so I shouldn't
advocate it.

<0x0192>