[G4] Can eMac hard-drives be upgraded?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 12:37:45 PDT 2005

On 04/21/05, Tony Johansen <tjoh7019 at bigpond.net.au> wrote:

> Has anyone upgraded the hard-drive on an eMac? I don't even know if its
> possible. I have Power PC G4 (3.3)  1GHz  1GB SDRAM with 60GB hard drive
> partitioned 40/20 (OS X/OS 9.2) I keep needing more RAM and artwork is
> eating up space.

For RAM upgrading, get the Memory CIP manual at
<http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=26270>.

Get the service manual at
<http://home.earthlink.net/~strahm_s/manuals.html>. That'll describe how to
open up that beauty so you can upgrade the HD. BTW, if you replace, what do
you plan on doing with the old one? One solution is to get an external FWHD
enclosure and pop it into it.  If you're reluctant to do the hands-on
stuff, then just get an external FWHD and don't swap them out. You can boot
from either drive.

> I keep eyeing that wasted space for '9', now with InDesign on 'X' I've
> abandoned Quark back in '9' and I suspect the cobwebs will just grow back
> there. In 11 months I've not had a single need for '9'. Pinching the drive
> space for 'X' seems logical, but also much hassle, if I have to go to that
> much trouble would I profitably install a bigger hard drive at that time?

A fully loaded OS 9.2.2 (bootable drive) takes up less than 1.5 GB on my
machine. Dump that artwork to a couple of CDs and you'll free up more space
than you'll get by removing OS 9.