[G4] Can eMac hard-drives be upgraded?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Thu Apr 21 15:17:40 PDT 2005

On 04/21/05, John Erdman <jperdman at earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2005, at 12:21, BG wrote:
>
>> External is the way to go. I just did this for around $65 bought an
>> external firewire box and installed a  120 GB HD.
>
> I'm also thinking about adding external storage. My two internals are
> filling and I need more space to manage files and back-ups.
>
> What FW box did you choose? And which 120GB drive?  Where did you buy
> them?
>
>   I see that some boxes have USB, some FW and still others have both.
> Isn't FW 400 still faster than USB 2.0. Why would I ever need an
> external drive with both types of connection rather than just FW?

Because most enclosure manufacturers package both to cut down costs. By all
means, just use the FW connection.

You can get a 160 GB Hitachi Deskstar
<http://shop2.outpost.com/product/3885187?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG> for
$110 and put it into something like a ARGOSY EXTERNAL 3.5" USB 2.0 /
FIREWIRE VERTICAL STAND ALUMINUM HARD DISK DRIVE COMBO ENCLOSURE (HD-360C)
for $40 at <http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:10500933>.