[G4] OWC Mercury Extreme G4 1.4 GHz upgrade to Quicksilver 2002

Steve Goldstein sng at cox.net
Fri Apr 22 20:41:42 PDT 2005

last night, and external USB Hard Disks are not recognized, and, in
fact will stall startup dead in its tracks.

Details:  It was a pretty easy install.  But, I forgot to press the
reset switch, so I had to open the case, press it, and re-start
again, and then I had to zap the PRAM, and, of course, the 'puter
booted from a different (cloned) internal drive, and I did not even
notice it until nothing in the dock seemed to open anything.  Those
were just the usual growing pains for a first-time upgrader.  And, my
computer iw a lot snappier now.  (Also, earlier, I had installed in a
new Radeon 9000 graphics card to speed up screen re-draws on the 22"
Apple Cinema Display,and I have memory max-ed out at 1.5 GB).

But, something else really stymied me: an external USB 2.0 hard disk
not only would not mount, but is stopped the boot cycle stone cold at
the point that it was "looking for other drives" or whatever that
boot-up statement is.  I turned off all the external drives (3 FW and
1 USB), and the machine booted OK, and then I opened Disk Utility and
found that it could see all the drives when I turned them back on
except for the USB drive (which had been working just fine before the
processor upgrade).  In fact, when I connected the USB drive (after
successfully booting the computer), the progress circle in Disk
Utility just kept spinning aimlessly.  Also, I took the HD out of the
USB enclosure and stuck it into a FW enclosure, and it was instantly
recognized, and it functioned just fine.  I connected another USB 2.0
drive that I use with my PC (I Ghost my PC's main drive to it), and
it, too, had the same fate as the previous USB drive (not recognized,
progress circle just spins in Disk Utlilty).  Yet, all my other USB
devices, including several solid state flash drives, a HP printer and
a Dymo Label Writer and a Palm PDA, and, of course, keyboard and
mouse all work fine with the new processor.   Just external USB hard
disks won't work.

After 20 minutes on hold with Technical Resistance at OWC/MacSales, I
finally got to a tech, and he said that they had done extensive
testing and had never experienced that with any drives, USB, FW, or
SCSI.  He advised that I replace my old processor and see if it still
happens (yeah, sure, I'm going to risk breaking something by going
through all that again).  He said that maybe some system software was
getting in the way.  Not much help at all.

Anybody have ideas?

--Steve