[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

Kevin Willis res19rmg at verizon.net
Mon Apr 25 16:02:18 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 4:23 PM, Ralph Garrett wrote:

> The average desktop user won't see much speed improvement by
> installing a RAID Array but for those who render 3D scenes, edit
> video/audio files or very large Photoshop files there can be a big
> improvement in performance. The most cost efficient way to do this is
> to use a pair of smaller drives (30 to 80 GB's) in a striped array,
> and use that array as a scratch disk only. If a drive fails in the
> array, very little critical data is lost and is usually easy to
> recreate. You also need to be ruthless about clearing files that are
> no longer needed. I have clients erase the scratch Array after they
> finish every project so they start with a clean slate.
>
> You can also gain a small performance boost by using drives in a
> conventional manner attached to multi channel drive controllers,
> storing the OS on one drive and apps on another drive.
>
> HTH
>
> Ralph

	I have been using my G4 to turn my kids VHS movies (Disney type
movies) into DVD's.  Each recorded tape is about 16 - 18 GB.  After
recording them, I import them into iMovie HD to add chapter markers.
It used to take about 11/2 to 2 hours to import them on the single 120
GB drive.  With the 2 40 GB drives in a striped RAID, it took about 20
- 30 minutes.  Was the improvement due to the RAID, or clean drives?
Wouldn't a striped RAID at the very least kinda double your hard drives
cache size?  Since the CPU is handling the same amount of data, but the
drive is only having to handle half of the data?

	Right now, I have 2 120 GB drives and 2 40 GB drives with and a DVD
drive.  That means 1 of them has to be left out.  A possible solution
is to put the DVD drive in a USB 2.0 external case that I have laying
around.  I just wonder what effect that would have on viewing and
burning DVD's  If anyone is interested in swapping the external case
for a RAID controller card, I may be interested, if that is a
reasonable trade.

Thanks,

Kevin