[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Mon Apr 25 17:50:34 PDT 2005

On Apr 25, 2005, at 19:40, Ralph Garrett wrote:

> On Apr 25, 2005, at 5:51 PM, Philip J Robar wrote:
>
>> This is simply not true. Every drive you add increases the chance of
>> the array failing.
>
> Sorry but that concept of reliability is based on flawed logic. (By
> the same logic, buying multiple Lotto tickets would greatly increase
> my chances of hitting it rich)

I'm afraid your logic is flawed, Ralph. Of course buying multiple
tickets increases your chances.

> For the RAID to fail, only one drive has to fail. So the MTBF for the
> Array is the same as any single unit.

Wrong. It's easy to conceptualize with small numbers. Assume that one
drive has a 10% chance of failing after 1 hour of use. That means that,
if you run 10 drives for 1 hour, chances are 1 will fail. So what
happens if a RAID-0 formed of 1 drive runs for 1 hour? Its chances of
failing is the same as for 1 drive. But what if your RAID is made up of
10 drives? Chances are that, after 1 hour, 1 drive will fail. But if
your RAID is type 0, 1 failure means the failure of the entire array.
So each time you add a drive to this kind of RAID, you increase the
chances of failure.

<0x0192>