[G4] EIDE and Ultra ATA RAID

shopdog shopdog at mac.com
Fri Apr 29 07:58:01 PDT 2005

Phil:

Excellent response.  Very informative.  I think when I pick up Tiger
(soon), I will try a RAID 1 (mirror) and test it out to see what
happens if one drive fails.  I'm tired of trying to maintain an exact
backup.  I mean, I will still do an occasional offsite backup, but I
would also like one that is in-house.

Sounds as though I will stay away from striping and JBOD, unless it's
just for non-critical things, or I want to use JBOD to link some small
drive together.  Of course I would still back them up.  My biggest
concern is data loss.

Any suggestions on good backup software?  I'd like for it to be able to
backup to DVD (span several, if possible).

shopdog