[G4] Upgrading to Tiger

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 09:51:52 PDT 2005

Today is Tiger day and I want to pass on what I learned about upgrading
pre-Tiger installations to Tiger while beta-testing Tiger the past six
months on my G4, 450 MP, 1.5 GB RAM machine. The following procedure worked
well installing and reinstalling the various builds. It allows you to
retain your current, preupgrade state while examining the new Tiger OS,
along with your current preferences and 3rd-party applications.

Boot with your current install CD, select Disk Utility (DU) from the
Utilities menu, select the main boot volume, and repair it.

Reboot into your main boot volume. Open System Preferences->Software
Update, and update to the latest available OS 10.2.8 or 10.3.9 with all
applicable updates. When there aren't any more, launch DU, select the boot
volume, and repair permissions.

Use Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper!, or another backup program to make a
bootable clone/copy of the main boot volume to another volume (a second
internal volume or disk or to an external FireWire volume). This technique
allows you to examine the new Tiger installation while retaining the
capability to use your current configuration.

Boot into the clone and make sure that everything works and looks like
being booted into the main boot volume. Launch DU, select the clone, and
disable journaling-I do this to remove one factor from the upgrading path;
once you install Tiger, you can re-enable journaling (the default) with
Tiger's DU.

[Note that if you ever need to disable journaling in Tiger, you'll need to
do it via the Terminal using the diskutil command because engineering
removed the disable journaling tool from Tiger's DU. The other option is to
boot into your Panther installation and use the tool in its DU.]

Boot with the Tiger install media (DVD or CD 1), select DU, and repair the
clone. If everything's OK, then quit DU; if not, continue to repair it
until it reports OK. If that doesn't work, then don't install Tiger until
you fix whatever isn't working.

Assuming that the clone passed the DU repair, click install, and continue
until you get to the "Select a Destination" pane of the Installer. Select
the clone and click the Options button. Select the Upgrade Mac OS X option.
I found that this is better than using Archive & Install or Erase & Install
because it integrates your current OS X version, including everything
previously installed by 3rd-party apps, updating all system components,
including user accounts, their home folders, and existing network settings;
whereas, A&I preserves the user accounts and network settings, but removes
all other system files, including those installed by 3rd-party apps outside
Applications and Users, to a Previous System folder.

When finished, you'll have a volume containing your current installation
and one containing Tiger, but which has everything else from your current
installation. This gives you the luxury of running everything as you do now
while checking to see if any of your applications are incompatible with
Tiger. This keeps your workflow going while waiting for 3rd-party
developers to issue updated versions of their applications.

>From my testing, the following 3rd-party apps work in Tiger:
Eudora 5.2.1
Internet Explorer 5.2.3
Microsoft Office 2004