[G4] Upgrading to Tiger

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Fri Apr 29 16:13:20 PDT 2005

On 04/29/05, Alex <lists at lexial.ca> wrote:
> On Apr 29, 2005, at 12:51, John Baltutis wrote:
>
>> [...] Select the Upgrade Mac OS X option.
>> I found that this is better than using Archive & Install or Erase & Install
>> because it integrates your current OS X version, including everything
>> previously installed by 3rd-party apps, updating all system components,
>> including user accounts, their home folders, and existing network
>> settings; whereas, A&I preserves the user accounts and network settings, but
>> removes all other system files, including those installed by 3rd-party apps
>> outside Applications and Users, to a Previous System folder.[...]
>
> As I recall, when upgrading from Jaguar to Panther, either option
> retained a number of settings much better discarded.

See MacFixIt's take on upgrade vs A&I. From my experience, the upgrade
option is the least taxing; however, you might have to uninstall some
3rd-party haxies if they break anything. Speed Download, Bwana, Fruit Menu,
and Windowshade were problematic during the testing, but the developers
have issued compliant updates.

> For instance, the shell preference was retained, rather then being
>replaced with the
> Panther default (bash). Does the Tiger install do the same thing?

I don't remember what transpired upgrading from Jaguar to Panther. However,
since I used bash in Panther and the default shell for Tiger remains bash,
I didn't experience any change. Note that Apple has added the Korn Shell to
its installed shells.