[G4] TV as a display

James Pacyga jim.pacyga at earthlink.net
Fri Apr 29 18:44:33 PDT 2005

Kevin-

I have a G4/500 that I use solely for media (i.e., mpg/avi/dvd
playback, mp3 serving).  I also use a Radeon 8500.  I found this:

1) Only the original ROM (126) works right with the Sleep mode - if you
upgrade it, it will not wake properly and you must reboot.

2) The latest Panther load seems to be pretty good from a pixelization
perspective (e.g., it used to be really blotchy and has improved
greatly - note I also have an old TV so that is not helping).

3) You can't use it for real computing - esp. if it is a tube.  S-Vid
just isn't good enough to drive it (not sure why- voltage?). I've
looked around and found no answers.

4) Thought about upgrading to a Sony Plasma Pro (PFM) panel which would
use DVI and probably be crisper - but I'm not a big TV person (mostly
music) so I am balking at dropping 3k on a panel.

5) You can use the 8500 to do dual displays, so you can home DVD player
on the TV and keep the monitor to do real work...I don't.  I use VNC to
connect to the G4 when I want to run it headless (i.e., no monitor -
music playback).

6) If you use the TV, you will likely have to use special settings for
the TV out setup: I use S-Video Sharp, and a custom size to counter
distortion of weak signal to tv.  It looks dopey in regular desktop
mode, but full screen DVD and file playback looks just fine (just as
good as broadcast).

My setup just for reference:
10.3.9
ATI Displays 4.2.5 (the newer versions seem to break some of the TV Out
robustness)
ATI ROM 126 (on card)
360Gb HD (2x80, 1x200)
Sonnet 802.11g
DVD-RAM (original, hence slow - thinking of replacing with newer
DVD+/-R)

All in all, as a media player, this older G4 trumps any Wintel box I
tried to use from a stability and usability perspective.

Jim