[G4] Jump from Jaguar directly to Tiger?

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Sat Apr 30 01:06:07 PDT 2005

On 29 Apr, 2005, at 7:43, Tim Collier wrote:

I really have to disagree.  The changes in OS X from 10.1 to what I'm
using now, 10.3 are dramatic.  These are not minor upgrades but
entirely new OS's each time.  ......Of course all of my Macs will
support it too, we have two iBooks (a 12 inch 1.2 gig G4 and a 14 inch
1.3 gig G4), a dual 1 gig Quicksilver G4 and the one I'm on now, a G5
1.8 gig 20 inch iMac.

Tim

I did you the kindness of editing out your personal comments against my
participation in the G4 List. But, I still maintain that not everybody
has the resources (money) to indulge their whims and desires as you
seem to. For the majority of Mac users, spending money like a MS
fanatic isn't a practice that can be maintained for long.

When an upgrade comes along, many users have to consider whether the
new features justify the expenditure. Just because Apple inserts a
bunch of widgets, bells, and whistles, doesn't make the upgrade
worthwhile for all of us.

I am not saying that we should ignore the upgrades, but that we should
understand that they are not necessarily for everybody immediately when
they are distributed. When the advantages have been tested and proven
and a qualified comparison of the programs has been completed and shows
that the upgrade will indeed be an advantageous thing, then is the time
to pull out your wallet and loosen your grip on poor old Abe and his
friends.

Were the past upgrade steps really "entirely new OS's each time"? Or,
were they just repairs made to a program that was released a bit too
early? I am not educated enough concerning program coding to argue
either question. I do know that many bits of code were inserted in the
upgrades to repair problems that weren't caught before the original
release date. Apple has already admitted that situation in print.
Either way, I bought into the okey-doke and spent my shekels for them.

If the upgrades were new OS's, why did Apple continue numbering them as
versions of OS-X? Apple has made public statements that illustrate the
recognized pattern for naming new versions of operating systems and
v10.4 is certainly not a new OS according to Apples' own statements.
This is simply a modified version of OS-X that brings some new
"built-in" features and some widgets to the desktop.

You should expect the differences to be dramatic between the upgrade
versions. Apple fixed many problems each time they upgraded the OS,
didn't they? When the problems were fixed and third-party companies
caught up to the modifications, life suddenly became a lot easier for
all of us and we sang hossanahs in praise of Apple.

I am a definite Mac fan/user and will not use a (bad word deleted for
decency's sake) computer unless I am tied down and given the chinese
water torture until I grow gills. I will continue to give my few pieces
of paper to good old Steve and company, but I really expect that there
will be another upgrade to pay for before too long and that it will be
numbered somewhere in the 10.4s. Anything with a decimal point in its
name is NOT a new OS, it's just a modifiction of an existing version.

I'm changing the subject and getting away from this ranting. It's not
good for our attitudes to start arguments among ourselves over
something this trivial. Have a safe day and watch out for MS fanatics
on the road.