[G4] Re : (G4) Fax Modem in G4 1.42 DP

Jean-Luc Brousseau brousseaujeanluc at ieee.org
Sat Apr 30 03:56:15 PDT 2005

Dear Alex
My G4 is a Dual processor 1.42 MHz that was on the market from January
to April 2003, just before G5 release. Sorry about mistyping 12.42... I
am using Panther 10.3.9 and will go to Tiger later this Summer.

> If you're using Panther, you want to enable distinctive ring
> switching. Essentially, you need to add -SDR parameter to the
> initialization string. Check this Macworld article for instructions:
>
> <http://www.macworld.com/2004/03/features/panthersecretsdeclassified/>
I thank you for your information about the Macworld article.

I will try this as soon as I have move to the new home on May 13th.

>> I have heard some years ago of a device called "ring decoder".
>
> I believe it's called a distinctive ring switch. Bell used to sell
> them for something like CAD 50 -- I'm not sure if they still do. If
> they do, I'd use it instead of Panther's software capability -- IMHO,
> it's more reliable.
If the software patch does not work satisfactorily, then I will try to
find a distinctive ring switch.

Again thanks for your help

Jean-Luc Brousseau
B.A., T.P., I.E.E.E., Tr. a.