[G4] Re: Update on Serial ATA PCI Card for G4 (It Lives!)

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Mon Aug 1 08:51:19 PDT 2005

The two new items involved are:

-  SIIG Serial ATA PCI-M Card card described at
http://www.siig.com/product.asp?catid=7&pid=556
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 SATA 80GB Model Number:ST380817AS

It lives! I have no idea how I fixed it but it is now working.  After
several failed attempts, I carried the new Seagate SATA drive to a friend
who has a firewire external case with a SATA adapter. It mounted and we
erased the drive making it a Mac drive and it worked perfect on his G5.  I
carried it back home and installed it again on the G4 AGP and it came up on
the desktop and was found by the OSX 10.4 Disk Utility.  The only issue is
the OSX System Profiler does not display the SATA drive. I really did not
expect to see it under the Serial-ATA option. The SIIG PCI card shows up
under the PCI card option but the attached drive is not displayed.  This is
no big deal because it seems to work perfect.

It lives!!!!! End of Shaggy Dog story

Dick