[G4] Re: Update on Serial ATA PCI Card for G4 (It Lives!)

Sean Collins sean at hogheaven.com
Wed Aug 3 15:04:00 PDT 2005

>I did not expect to see the SATA drive under the S-ATA option but did expect
>to see it displayed in the Profiler PCI option.  The SIIG card shows up but
>does not show the attached SATA drive.
>
>This could be a bug somewhere. Anyone else using a Serial ATA/PCI card that
>can check their System Profile?

This is a known bug in Tiger, including the latest 10.4.2 update.

System Profiler in Panther (10.3.x) shows my FirmTek SATA card  under
"PCI/AGP", and the WD disk drive attached to it shows up under "ATA".

System Profiler in Tiger only sees the PCI card.  There is no info
about the drive itself, either under "ATA" or "Serial-ATA", although
it works fine.

Since disk utility depends on the same hardware detection mechanism
as system profiler, it's a good guess that Tiger cannot initialize a
new drive connected to a 3rd party SATA card.  Once initialized on
another machine, or earlier OS, Tigers filesystem can at least
utilize it.

Sean