[G4] Re: Partitioning?

Jose Vittori josegvittori at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Aug 9 12:23:44 PDT 2005

Dear Harry, you're quite right about the way OS X manage its swap
files, that's why I've already done once what you suggest me to do. In
fact, I did it twice, the first time I placed the swap space into a
second drive which was a WD 25 Gb that came in the machine. It was a
way slower than my new Seagate Barracuda 80 Gb. So, as I had this
freeware to make changes at my will I decided to make a test and find
out who wins, logic or experience? Guess what?

Ok, it was just a 5400 RPM against a 7200 RPM. It was ok to get the
tail of the bunch. But the article you recommend me to read said that
my system would work faster if I'd set up a 3 or 4 Gb volume for swap
activity. I did it and as I had the possibility of switching target
volumes for swapping I did it too. I took times out of some tasks
carried out by photoshop and other apps and finally compared them. It
was a little frustrating finding out that I had to invest some money to
get faster but I realized that there's no theory overcoming facts.

In conclusion I'm in position to say that I proved how slower and
inconvenient partitioning and swapping to a different volume into the
same drive can be. I hope you won't get through the same experience!

Jose Vittori

On Aug 9, 2005, at 3:16 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com