[G4] Kingston 512 Ram Memory Dilemma

Harold Polk hpolk1 at mindspring.com
Sat Aug 13 10:28:44 PDT 2005

I recently added another "stick" of Kingston 512MB of memory in my G4
MDD, to add to the Samsung 512MB stick installed by MacZone at
purchase and another Kingston 512MB that I had added about a year or
so ago.  I have been having trouble with the internal modem not being
reliably activated by the system and thought it might be a memory
problem.
I ran the "Apple Macintosh Hardware Test" disc that came with the
computer and this test tells me that the newest stick is defective.
However, when I run TechTool Pro 4.04 all the sticks show good.  Now
which test should I believe, the Apple program or TechTool???
I am aware that the Mac's are sensitive to memory but why would one
test show defective and another test show the stick good.  BTW I did
change the slot of the "defective" stick and it again showed
defective using the "Hardware Test" but TT shows it good.  Have not
talked to Kingston but this is my first option.
Any ideas on this dilemma would be greatly appreciated.
Harold