[G4] AppleTalk - What for now?

Dennis B. Swaney romad at nvwisp.com
Wed Aug 17 19:30:19 PDT 2005

At 12:37 PM -0600 8/17/05, Doug McNutt wrote:
>At 20:40 -0700 8/16/05, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:
>>So who is correct? In order to connect my Rev B iMac running 9.2
>>and my G4 iMac running OS X, I have to have Appletalk active on
>>both. According to John, it can be done, but according to Doug it
>>can't!
>
>Your OS 9 box does not need to communicate via AppleTalk.
>
>File Sharing control panel. Enable file sharing over TCP/IP. I think
>connecting to the OS 10 box will choose IP automatically as you
>attempt a connection.

Unfortunately, I still run into the problem that I can only have 1 IP
address. If I use the IP address for file sharing, then I can't
connect to the internet from the Rev B and vice versa. I don't know
if this limitation is in OS 9, or a hardware limitation.

To recap:

  I have a G3 Rev B iMac running OS 9.x that I need to do following:

1. Connect to the internet through the internal modem
2. Connect to the G4 iMac & G4 Powerbook for file sharing

I would also LIKE to connect to my AirPort network for the capability
of connecting to the internet via my WiMax connection. Remember, this
G3 iMac does NOT have a Airport card slot (unless someone has made
one that can connect to the Mezzanine Slot) This connection would
also replace the cat5 crossover cable currently between the two iMacs
--
Sincerely,
Dennis B. Swaney

"Windows is a command-line OS with a GUI shell while Mac System 10 is
... oh, never mind."