[G4] AppleTalk - What for now?

Snow White jj4 at sympatico.ca
Wed Aug 17 22:03:22 PDT 2005

Well I can tell you that previously I could not connect my OSX (10.2
and 10.3) to an OS9 computer, but OS9 to OSX was a snap.  I cannot talk
of 10.4 as I do not have it.

But it does seem to me that a Router and Share via IP would work very
easily.  The Router (with a modem) can connect to the Internet or as
mine, connect to high speed and reconnect if disconnected (always on).
This provides an easy route between computers of any OS (almost) and
everything is behind the Firewall.  Your ISP only sees one IP but all
machines can connect to the internet via IP on the Cat5 and Router.

Your Router (or Hub) can be an add on to your Airport (or visa-versa) -
just look up how to put a hub behind the one you want to connect to the
web.  Most routers actually have an uplink plug slot that senses the
proper connection  --  very easy.  Your G3 has an ethernet port??
Wires are cheap and very effective connections.

Is a "WiMax connection" some kind of high speed connection to the
internet?  If it is then everything newer than a pizza box mac can be
connected via TCP/IP and some Cat5 wires.

jj

On 17-Aug-05, at 10:30 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com