[G4] AppleTalk - What for now?

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Thu Aug 18 01:42:50 PDT 2005

Hi all.

I've been following this discussion with great interest, as I was
tearing my hair trying to get a USB printer to link with all Macs on
my LAN.

The set-up is:

G4 tower running 10.3.9 and Classic with a USB Epson printer
connected via a USB hub.
Beige G3 running 9.2.2
Powerbook G3 Pismo running 9.2.2

All of these talk to each other via an Ethernet hub with no problems.

No problems either with web-sharing via the G4 modem - works fine
when you throw the appropriate software switches on all three Macs.

BUT

The two G3s will not 'see' the shared USB printer port in their
Choosers unless Classic is running. When it is, then you can be using
OS X and the printer will still print because Classic is there in the
background.

If you're using the Epson sharing software, which I am, then
Appletalk definitely needs to be on, even though the Macs are
communicating via TCP/IP.

I have not yet succeeded in locating the USB printer using the USB
printer sharing control panel. It simply doesn't show up in any of
the neighbourhoods under the Network Printers tab. Why I don't know.
Anyone got any ideas?

Best

Alex
--