[G4] Firewire problem

Perry The Cynic perry at cynic.org
Sun Aug 28 12:09:27 PDT 2005

Here's what's going on: A and B are connected via FireWire. *You* think
you're just doing this for networking, but the computers don't know that.
They combine their FireWire buses into one "super-bus", which now contains
A+B+the drive. (That's how FireWire works.) This means that, technically
speaking, the drive is attached to *both* A and B, and whichever finds the
drive first treats it as a local drive. Normally that's A (it's closer),
but if you turn off A for wee bit, the drive will detach from A, and then B
may find it before A gets back up.

Funnily, *if* B has gotten hold of the drive, then A could actually mount
it (as a network drive) from B. The situation is really *that* symmetric.
That's FireWire for you...

(As another demonstration, plug an iSight into B and start iChat on A.
It'll see the iSight as locally attached, and will happily use it if B
isn't. All one big happy family of devices.)

As to a solution - I don't know a "fool proof" one. Mac OS X likes to treat
FireWire external drives as if they belong to a logged-in user, which means
it often unmounts them when you log out. You should be safe if you
disconnect the A-B "network" cable before rebooting A, and plug it back in
when A has "taken" the drive again. (That may be after logging in, if you
have auto-login disabled.)

Cheers
  -- perry

--On August 27, 2005 10:34:59 PM -0700 Sims David <dmsims at mindspring.com>