[G4] Re: G4 How to set your hard drive to master

Richard Smallwood smally at knology.net
Tue Dec 6 18:09:12 PST 2005

On Dec 6, 2005, at 7:01 PM, Richard M. Kriss wrote:

>> The G-4 says to set your internal hard drives to cable select, The
>> drives become slave or master depending on where they are located on
>> the cable (at the far end is the master).
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>> Richard
>
> That is new information to me.  I was told it really did not mater
> which
> drive position was the slave or master as long as they were strapped
> correct.  I have two drives in my G4 and can boot from either one.
>
> Richard, do you have a reference to an Apple tech note on the topic?
>
> Dick

From:
Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) and (QuickSilver 2002) Education
Model: About Cable Select and Adding Third-Party Drives
  This document discusses the cable select feature of Power Mac G4
(Mirrored Drive Doors) and the education model of Power Mac
(QuickSilver 2002) computers, and how it can be used to add drives from
third-party manufacturers.

  The Power Mac G4 (Mirrored Drive Doors) and education model of Power
Mac G4 (QuickSilver 2002) computers work with ATA and ATAPI internal
storage devices that are set for cable select mode.

  The cable select feature forces the device to set its ID as either
master or slave, based upon its position on the ATA/ATAPI cable:
	▪ 	If the device is attached to the end of the cable, then it
identifies itself as a master.
	▪ 	If the device is at the middle cable position, then it identifies
itself as a slave.

  Since cable select mode forces the drive to set its ID based upon its
position on the cable, hard drives and optical drives can be easily
configured.

  When installing additional ATA and ATAPI drives from another
manufacturers, check the documentation that came with the drive, or
check with the manufacturer to find out how to set the drive to the
cable select mode.

Note: For the cable select setting to work properly, the cables you use
must work with the cable select feature. For this reason, the original
Apple cables that came with the computer should be used when installing
additional drives. Some cables made by other manufacturers may not
correctly work with the cable select mode.