[G4] Re: G4 How to set your hard drive to master

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Tue Dec 6 18:14:18 PST 2005

As a general rule of thumb "Never use Cable select mode" it can just
cause trouble. Set it up on your own so that you are 100% certain
that things are behaving as they are supposed to.

Here is a good diagram and explanation of the set-up being asked about.

Ignore the Brand of the hard drive, just focus on master and Slave
idea (where the jumpers are on the back of the hard drive) and the
graphic at the bottom of the page showing how the cables are connected.

http://www.seagate.com/support/kb/disc/faq/ata_cable_select.html

Set up your hard drive the same...

So the connector farthest from the Mac mother board is the master end
of the cable, so if you have a drive plugged in there it should be
set to master on the pins.

The connector in the middle is the Slave, and yes anything connected
there should be set as slave on the device...

Now before you go and change your jumpers on the drive make sure you
look and your particular drive, because you can't assume that the
jumper setting are the same for your drive as shown in the web-page
link above. Most modern hard drives will have a nice graphic or some
kind of guidelines on the drive it-self in terms of how the jumpers
should be set for your drive to get master / slave mode. If it is not
written on the drive somewhere then go to the drive manufactures
website or look at the documentation that came with the hard drive to
find the correct jumper settings...

Once you have it all set up then go to the "Disk Utility" to see if
the drive shows up. you may have to format it in order for it show up
as usable...

let us know if you need more help...

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.