[G4] Re: G4 TO G5 Transfer

Richard M. Kriss rmkriss at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 10 14:28:36 PST 2005

> Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:05:24 -0800
> From: James Pacyga <jim.pacyga at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [G4] G4 TO G5 Transfer
>
> No, they are ATA parallel drives, G5 architectures use SATA (serial
> ATA).

I may not have this problem since I have a SATA/PCI card in my G4 that lets
me use a SATA drive in the G4.  The posting raises an interesting question.
Is there such a thing as a card you can add to a G5 that will let you use
you old ATA drives?

> You could remove them from the G4 and put them in Firewire or
> USB enclosures if for some reason you could not transfer the contents.

Just read this morning on MacInTouch or somewhere that Apple is about to
abandon the Firewire.  This is going to leave a number of people holding
useless external drives.  Maybe not since most can do USB as well as
Firewire.  Something tells me we are going to see some attractive prices on
Firewire only cases pretty soon.