[G4] Router definition and Ethernet Broadband question.

Alex Hurst corkflor at iol.ie
Tue Dec 13 07:18:22 PST 2005

Tony wrote in part:

>Its all beside the point, a router can be a good thing in protecting oneself
>from the evils of the internet.

Forgive my ignorance, but is a router the same thing as a hub?

I'm eagerly awaiting my first experience of broadband. It's been
impossible to get it on landline where I live in Ireland, but I've at
last found an ISP who can provide wireless broadband, and, glory be,
has tested and found a good signal from the chimney of our house. The
kit is installed, and I hope to get switched on tomorrow.

As I have a Netgear Ethernet hub which links my G4 to two G3 Macs
with no problem, am I right in assuming that I just plug the
broadband modem connection into any free socket? I seem to remember
the hub has one socket that's slightly different from the others in
function, but it didn't come with an instruction book.

Best

Alex
--
Alex & Carmel Hurst