[G4] Router definition and Ethernet Broadband question.

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Tue Dec 13 09:36:09 PST 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

Tony,

An ethernet hub is not the same as a router, however some router do
also contain an ethernet hub as part of their basic structure. I have a
Belkin wireless router which also has 4 wired (ethernet) ports because
my ISP will only allow their customers to have one IP address. By
inserting a router between your ISP provided cable modem and your
computers (a router that can assign LAN IP address's, i.e. DHCP) your
ISP assigns one IP address which your router uses which in turn assigns
an IP address to all of your PC/Macs and then funnels all of your
internal LAN (Local Area Network) request through the router out into
the WAN (Wide Area Network).

The router also provides you with a Firewall for some protection from
the outside world.

On Dec 13, 2005, at 7:18 AM, Alex Hurst wrote:

> Tony wrote in part:
>
>> Its all beside the point, a router can be a good thing in protecting
>> oneself
>> from the evils of the internet.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but is a router the same thing as a hub?
>
> I'm eagerly awaiting my first experience of broadband. It's been
> impossible to get it on landline where I live in Ireland, but I've at
> last found an ISP who can provide wireless broadband, and, glory be,
> has tested and found a good signal from the chimney of our house. The
> kit is installed, and I hope to get switched on tomorrow.
>
> As I have a Netgear Ethernet hub which links my G4 to two G3 Macs with
> no problem, am I right in assuming that I just plug the broadband
> modem connection into any free socket? I seem to remember the hub has
> one socket that's slightly different from the others in function, but
> it didn't come with an instruction book.
>
> Best
>
> Alex
> --
> Alex & Carmel Hurst
> Waterfall
> Near Cork
> Ireland
>
> Tel: +353 21 454 3328
> Mobile: +353 87 245 7048
> Work: +353 21 427 0907
> email: corkflor at iol.ie
> Home Pages: http://www.iol.ie/~corkflor

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
* We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing
through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love...
and then we return home.
Australian Aboriginal proverb