[G4] Updating my System and user software Questions

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Fri Dec 16 09:49:26 PST 2005

On 16 December, 2005, at 6:27:11, Sy wrote:

> I've decided that I may be best off buying a new Mac
> with OSX or at the very least, getting another
> external drive and playing with OSX on that one.
>
> My questions have to do with my software:
>
> I use MS-Works 3 (about 15 years old) as a Database
> and as a word processing tool.  It does the job quite
> well for me but knowing that it won't run on OSX (and
> not wanting to use it in Classic mode) was wondering
> how I'd go about getting it "translated" into a format
> that would run on OSX.  Does anyone know of any online
> services which can do this or software I could buy? I
> have the same question regarding my "Quicken '98"
> software.

I would suggest getting the new AppleWorks for translating your MS-
Works documents into something newer. It would cost you less than $75
counting tax for that program. AppleWorks can "open" and "save as"
from many other word processor programs and has database powers also.

As for your Quicken files, I think the newer versions are capable of
reading the older files, but cannot promise as I do not use Quicken
at all. It's worth a try anyway.