[G4] Newcomer to G4 - query on hard disks

Ian Piper ianpiper at mac.com
Fri Dec 23 08:54:05 PST 2005

Hi all,

I have just purchased a dual 450 MHz G4 (I think it is called a
Gigabit Ethernet model). I have a question about hard disk expansion
and would appreciate any advice you could offer.

The machine has a 30 GB disk, located in drive bay 3. From the manual
it seems that I can put two disks in this bay, and I can see the
extra IDE and power cables to allow this. However, the manual also
says that the G4 supports up to 3 internal drives. I can't see any
IDE (or other for that matter) connectors in the other two drive
bays, so how do I fit a third drive? Is it possible to put an
internal hard drive in the bay where the zip drive would normally go
(there is a second IDE bus with the DVD-ROM drive on it and a spare
IDE connector)? If it were possible presumably I would have to set
the DVD jumpers to slave and the disk's jumpers to master. I have a
Mac Cube and I am pretty sure that it has one IDE bus, holding the
disk and DVD-ROM, so on the face of it it should be possible. Has
anyone done anything like this?

Brief background - I would like to use the existing drive as a boot
disk and add two RAID (mirrored) 120 GB disks to use the computer as
a file server for my network.

Any illumination much appreciated.

Ian.
ianpiper at mac.com