[G4] Need "handholding" while experimenting with OSX

Doug McNutt douglist at macnauchtan.com
Tue Dec 27 12:09:10 PST 2005

At 10:45 -0800 12/27/05, Sy wrote:
>Several weeks ago I explained here that I have very
>old apps that work fine on 9.1 but surely won't run on
>OSX.  I would like to try the OSX evironment but an
>worried about screwing up my computer.

I had a G4 running 9.1 with essentially the same worries. It was 3
years, or so, ago.

I restarted my old 8500 and put 9.1 on it. A Sonnet conversion to G3
status brought up the speed and it's what I'm using to write this.
Micro$oft Excel works fine just like it used to. MPW - a programming
tool - works fine and iCab for a browser does almost everything. I
consider the 8500 my "important" computer. Eudora 5.1 in use to
prepare this.

My G4 sawtooth got Jaguar, then Panther, and then Tiger but I had to
back out of Tiger because it refuses to talk to my SE/30 which is
still in use too.

OS neXt is pretty nice and it's getting better though Steve's
emphasis is too much, for my taste, into video, music, and other
entertainment. It is UNIX and that's great. It's a good way to
introduce yourself to the likes of Linux. I find the BBEdit editor on
OS neXt a really good way to write scripts and stuff which will
really run on a $10.00 pentium box that runs in the corner with a
monitor I never turn on. The open software for Linux can mostly run
on OS neXt. Perl and curl are fun. Some of the video software, VLC
for instance, handle more formats than QuickTime does.

Browsers work better on the G4 even though Safari is taking a
knocking by FireFox.

You have to buy OS neXt. Tiger is current and I doubt that you can
even purchase Panther from Apple.

Classic on OS neXt is said to be pretty good but I never use it.
Classic apps are for the 8500. Some, like MPW, work poorly on neXt
because they have never been "carbonized".

So my suggestion is to find another Mac on the cheap to run classic
apps. When Apple bought NeXT Inc., and Steve came back, things
changed a whole lot. OS neXt  is UNIX and learning it is a fun ride
well worth the time. You'll be happier though if your financial
spreadsheet remains on a nice reliable OS 9 box at least until a real
UNIX spreadsheet comes available - gnumeric anyone?

OS neXt is great for the internet. I doubt that it would mess up IP
addresses and the like.

If you have multiple monitors on your G4 you may discover that your
PCI video cards from ATI are not supported. I have a couple that work
fine in the 8500 but will drive only monochrome in the G4 under OS
neXt even though they did color in OS 9.1.

>Any advice will be appreciated.

Any???  If you hear a bit of bias, sorry. If my Apple stock wasn't
doing so well I'd be mad at Steve.

--
--> The Intelligent Designer managed to create the only species that
kills its own members while claiming that it acts in accordance with