[G4] Re: Need "handholding", cont'd.

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Wed Dec 28 13:01:55 PST 2005

On Dec 28, 2005, at 12:26 PM, g4-request at listserver.themacintoshguy.com
wrote:

> Message: 8
> Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 10:25:20 -0500
> From: John Erdman <jperdman at earthlink.net>
> Subject: Re: [G4] Need "handholding", cont'd.
> To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
> 	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>

> I'm pretty sure that it is not necessary to have OS9 in a separate
> partition unless you want to retain the ability to boot directly into
> OS9.

When I bought by G4 Quicksilver 733, Apple had everything on one
volume, there were no partitions.  That meant I had OS 9.2 and OS
10.0.4 on the one hard drive.  Today, I have two hard drives.  The
original hard drive has three partitions, one for OS 9.2.2 and backup
of data files.  A second partition is for Photoshop scratch and the
third for OS X testing.  The new, main drive has only one volume, no
partitions.  I have OS X 10.3.9 and OS 9.2.2 on it.  This OS 9.2.2 is
the Classic System Folder.  This 9.2.2 is also a startup OS, but since
I shredded a bunch of extensions and control panels out of it, it is
limited in what it can do.   I can make the 9.2.2 on the old drive the
Classic system if I just change the preference in OS X.

> 	To access Classic,  all you do is to start up one of your old apps.
> The computer recognizes it's an OS9 app and will start up OS9
> automatically. The great advantage of Classic over booting directly
> from 9.2.2 is your ability to switch quickly between OSX and
> Classic.   How would this help? For instance, Safari browser is far
> superior to anything I ever used in OS 9. It is possible to cut and
> paste between apps running on OSX and older apps running in Classic.
> Handy say because I wasn't ready to upgrade my Photoshop and MS Word
> and Excel, but I wanted to browse for images and text that I wanted
> to manipulate in an old app.  You can't do that if you cold boot up
> into OS 9.2.2.

For Classic operations, I usually have Classic start up with OS X, so
there is no delay when my wife wants to use one of the Classic
applications.  The movement of files and data and cutting and pasting
stuff between OS X apps and Classic apps is quick and seamless.

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.