[G4] More About USB Question

Jim Thornton jimthornton at mac.com
Wed Dec 28 23:50:50 PST 2005

Hello!

Today, Philip J Robar commented on the "USB Question" and said (among other
things):

"Get a USB 2.0 card, they're cheap - $10-$50 depending on
name brand, etc. Make sure it's Mac compatible and/or returnable,
last thing I knew one common chipset was compatible and the other
wasn't. Don't know if that has changed with Tiger or not."

I have the same Quicksilver model and have tried about ten different USB 2.0
PCI cards, but can't get any to work successfully with OS X. (I've tried
different cards at different times, most recently with 10.4.3. Although
System Profiler recognizes them, when devices are connected, they all cause
freezing or the inability to wake from sleep. Some of the cards even claimed
to be Mac compatible; all were returnable.)

Has anybody successfully used a USB 2.0 PCI card in a Quicksilver (2001) or
other Mac without built-in USB 2.0? What brand card did you use? Etc, Etc.

Thanks,

Jim Thornton