[G4] [OT] DSL Router and Ethernet Hub compatibility

Richard Meyeroff rem at meyeroff-c-c.com
Wed Feb 2 15:35:48 PST 2005

Their are many similar devicesbut I like to support those that
support Apple.  the 2 companies that are best at that are MacSence
and Asante.  I have installed them in many clients with little or no
problem.

Asante  http://www.asante.com/products/

macSense  http://www.macsense.com/

>I have an Linksys "EtherFast Cable/DSL Router with 4-Port Switch", BEFSR41
>connected to the cable-modem supplied by Comcast.  3 of the 4 ports
>are used for interconnections among a PowerBook G4, a B&W G3 desktop,
>and an HP Laserjet 2100M printer.  (The latter is connected to the
>Linksys through an Asante "AsanteTalk" bridge -- AppleTalk <-> Ethernet.)
>It all came up very easily: plugged it together and they all share.
>The Linksys lists for about $74 but it was on sale at CompUSA for $50
>when I bought it -- might be some similar deals on the net.
>
>The Linksys sets up a nicely protected LAN inside my house (it has fairly
>good port-blocking and lots of administrative stuff I can get to from the
>LAN side with a web browser).  It does DHCP to each of my machines.
>Default setups were very easy, the userguide was extensive, and there
>was a lot of detailed advice for the device (when I set it up in June '03)
>at www.practicallynetworked.com/support/linksys_router_help.htm --- hmmm.
>it's still there).
>
>Linksys has a similar device that supports WiFi.
>
>Just saying...
>
>-- Pres
>      (Well, one G4 does qualify me for this list, doesn't it?)
>
>RE (answer to request from DaleH):
>>Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 09:06:05 -0500
>>From: Richard Meyeroff <rem at meyeroff-c-c.com>
>>Subject: Re: [G4] [OT] DSL Router and Ethernet Hub compatibility
>>To: "A place to discuss Apple's G4 computers."
>>	<g4 at listserver.themacintoshguy.com>
>>
>>the problem is that you can only connect one ethernet device
>>directly to the DSL modem at a time and the modem uses the MAC
>>address of the device to confirm mthe correct device is connected.
>>
>>Thee only way to have multiple ethernet devices connec ted to a DSL
>>or Cable Modem is to use a Router switch that allows for DNS on the
>>private side of the connection.  You attach the DSL Modem to the
>>Router Switch and then connect the 2 devices to the 4 port ethernet
>>switch that is part of the Router Switch.  They cost about $50.
>>
>>I have done this with Verision ISDN, Verision DSL, and Comcast
>>cable using both Masence Xrouters and the asante Friendly net
>>routers.

Have a Happy and Enjoy

Richard E. Meyeroff
Meyeroff Computer Consultants
917-586-8790
REM at Meyeroff-C-C.com
Member  Apple Consultants Network  ACHDS

The Answer to your Computer Questions & Needs