[G4] Power Supply Problem

Joel Threatt jthreatt at nc.rr.com
Sun Feb 6 07:17:37 PST 2005

I have a Quick Silver '02  dual 1gig, currently at 867 due to a dead
processor. I recently had some issues with the drives not spinning up.
My constant on/off/pram resets pretty much finished the logic board as
well. First I sent the PS to a Mac repairer for the "free" diagnoses. I
was told the PS was fine so then I sent in the logic board and after
calling them they said the board was dead and it couldn't be repaired.
OK so of course they could replace the board so I did that. A few days
later I reassembled my QS and it booted and ran fine, much to my
relief. After about 5-6 hrs the drives again spun down. Being careful
only to do ONE pram reset I proceeded to change cables, change drives,
try one at a time. nothing worked. All those drives spun up fine in my
one firewire enclosure. A check of the voltages at the plugs showed
4.75v and 9.6v respectively. I tried this with drives connected and
disconnected. Curiously enough my internal CDRW runs fine while my hard
drives will not spin at all when connected to the PS. Although they
work fine in the Firewire. I own a lot of Macs starting with a Color
Classic II and had no problems like this occur. This is my first G4 and
all this trouble is driving me back towards a PC.   Oh I also checked
the battery and it was at 1.2v so it got replaced first thing. Has this
happened to anyone else? I figure I am looking at a new PS. Or could
the new board have failed like the original? Your thoughts will be
greatly appreciated

Joel