[G4] Re: how many partitions, for 2nd OS?

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Mon Feb 14 12:31:18 PST 2005

On 02/14/05, B Yen <byen00 at earthlink.net> wrote:

> I just ran Drive Setup & partitioned it into 2 partitions.. each 60g.  I also
> updated the driver, & re-booted.
>
> Everything is OK.
>
> I'm still on OS 9.2.2. (if you can believe it).  I heard some people have a
> partition reserved for OS X boot.  Is my 2 partition HD Okay, or could I
>go with a 3
> (or even 4) partition?  I guess I'm asking, how much disk space is ideal
>for an OS X
> partition?
>
> A while back, I was the one whose 60g Maxtor was beginning to act flaky
>(sometimes
> it wouldn't show up during a boot, or wouldn't wake from a "sleep").  I
>suppose the
> above 2-partition scheme (each 60g) might be good, if I used one
>partition as a
> "mirror" of the Maxtor 60g.  Others suggested just copying over important
>files, in
> which case a smaller partition could take care of that.
>
> Question: I need recomendations on a good partition scheme for my 120g
>Western
> Digital.

Partitioning is really a personal decision based primarily on what you do
with your machine. A typical OS X installation takes 10-20 GB of disk
space, but that varies greatly depending on what you store in your users
folder (music, photos, and movies take a lot of it) and which applications
you want to run. I usually partition in 20-30 GB chunks, but then I'm
heavily into beta-testing and have seven separate operating systems (4 OS X
and 3 OS 9) installed.

Here's the pertinent parts of at typical (at least on my machine) 12 GB,
10.3.7 installation on a 30 GB partition. YMMV. Note that I don't store
many music, photo, or movie files.

baltwo$ sudo du -hs /*

 4.4G /Applications
 789M /Developer