[G4] How do I Reply to a Post?

Jim Robertson jamesrob at sonic.net
Sat Feb 19 06:38:59 PST 2005

On 2/16/05 6:39 PM, "Jim Thornton" <jimthornton at mac.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Al, for your reply. At first, I thought your answer was complicated,
> but when I just did what you advised, it was rather simple; not intuitive,
> but easy enough to do. I never found any "official" instructions for
> replying, so I appreciate yours.
>
> I'm using Entourage X and when I hit reply, the digest remains on the
> desktop, so I can return to it when I finish my reply.

There's also a simpler way. I have a script entitled "message from digest"
that allows you to select and save an individual message from a digest, then
reply to IT rather than to the digest as a whole. When you do so, if you
quote some of the message that you're answering, the quotation will be
attributed to the writer, not the list, and the formatting of quotation
designation will be correct (as will the subject line of your message).

All you need to add is the address of the list as a second recipient.

I just examined the script, and it contains no comments that say who wrote
it, but I'm sure it was free, and I'll ask on the entourage-talk list where
it's obtainable publicly.

Two other advantages of this approach, if you're using Entourage:
1. Your reply gets filed in the same folder as your digests and posts to the
list
2. You can use the script to save any individual messages from any list
rather than whole digests.

Of course, there are scripts that "burst" digests into all their individual
messages as well. I've never understood why one would want to use them.

Jim Robertson