[G4] WD-HD Failure-or?

Ron Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Feb 24 00:54:10 PST 2005

On 24 Feb, 2005, at 0:30, james grant tyner wrote:

All went well, everything functioned-until I attempted to transfer back
some of the files that had been removed and stored .
Now the HD is not seen by-System Profiler, Apple Disk Utility, or Disk
Warrier.

Question to the combined experience of the list-is there any further
action
I can reasonably take to confirm the status of the disk?
Ditto-can the files that were transferred be retrieved?
Or should I just pitch the thing and replace it?

It appears that you had some wildly corrupted data in the files that
you were transferring and they caused your total loss of system data.
Can you boot the machine to a System Install CD and see the drive in
Disk Utility?

You didn't tell whether the data originally came from your WD drive or
from a different source. Next, you didn't say whether you did a drive
erasure (just a clean install) which would possibly indicate that you
did not remove the first cause of the data loss.

I would suggest completely erasing the hard drive and re-installing
your software before thinking about throwing the drive away. I know
that new drives are low priced compared to years ago, but why spend
money if you don't really have to?