[G4] Multi Users in OS 9

MacTech MacTech1 at cox.net
Sun Feb 27 18:40:48 PST 2005

I am having to set up Multiple User accounts on 10 Macintosh computers
running OS 9.1 and 9.2. We are in need of security measures to prevent
users from adding non authorized software and changes to the hard drives.

When I initially go into the Multiple User Control Panel, the owner
account is the name that was entered when the computers were first set
up. The password that appears automatically (unreadable of course except
for the number of characters) remains the same no matter how many times
I try to change it. The Owner name is changed successfully by changing
the name in the File Sharing dialogue box. However, changing  the
password in the File Sharing dialogue box and restarting does not change
the default password in the Multiple User Control Panel.

I have also thrown away all preferences related to Multiple Users and
there was no change. I again went back to the Multiple User Control
Panel and put a new password. Then I closed the Multiple User control
panel. Went back into it and opened the the Owners options, the the
password had reverted back to the original number of characters
appearing in the dialogue box before the change. I also tried throwing
away the PPC registration database preferences and the PowerReg Prefs.

Can anyone tell me how to successfully change the owner password so we
can administer these computers?

Thanks
MacTech