[G4] upgrade to G5 dual 1.8 (also, is there a companion G5 list?)

B Yen byen00 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 3 14:35:34 PST 2005

I might be getting a dual G5 1.8ghz soon.  Is there an equivalent G5 list, the sister list to the G4 List?

I bought my G4/667 back in Aug. 2001.  I have barely utilized its capabilities so far.  (although I do use it DAILY, so it gets heavy use).  I'm still on OS9.2.2, if you can believe that!!  (it's hard to break old habits..most of my software is OS9 classic).  I haven't tried OS X, but I hear it's quite stable & productive platform..

My local Apple dealer (Unitek, great customer service) told me people usually upgrade every 3 years.  So, it's getting to be about that "3 year itch".  I do a lot of Photoshop (big files), & am beginning to get serious into video-editing.  I believe these 2 reason are valid enough, to upgrade to a dual 1.8g G5.  (faster video rendering.  I was sitting here, WASTING TIME recently, trying to cut some short videos, since the rendering was taking FOREVER!!)

I'd appreciate any comments by users on this G4 list, as to WHY & WHEN to upgrade to a dual G5.  My Unitek salesman told me to expect a significant drop in the dual G5's after the upcoming MacWorld on the 11th.

Another reason to upgrade, is to get the Superdrives, so I can do DVD authoring (it comes with the authoring software).  If I tried to upgrade my G4 (no superdrive or authoring software), I'd be looking at a significant $$ investment.  I figure I pay a little more for a complete G5 (with drive & software), & that's a better buy..

Just as example, I did the following page using my G4:

http://www.seeleyracing.com/geiser/main.html

(videos were done with iMovie, pics were done with Photoshop).  Those movies have those "copyright subtitles" rendering into the frames..that's what was causing the HUGE WAIT TIMES for me..  I suppose iMovie has dual  processor optimization enabled..correct?

I'd appreciate any comments by users with video-editing "bent", & Photoshop "bent".  How much memory do I REALLY need?  The G5's can go up to 2.5g memory (?).