[G4] DVD Mastering?

Thomas Martin nhzlv at pensys.com
Mon Jan 3 17:36:16 PST 2005

I am looking to get into mastering DVD's for a friend of mine of a TV
series he and his wife did.

Where do I get started?  I will be able to get the broadcast master VHS
tapes, but what software do I need to do this?  What sort of cash
outlay am I looking at?  I produce a radio program now, and am looking
at picking up another soon, but DVD's are something I have had very
little to do with.  Myu goal is not a home looking DVD, but yet a
professional quality DVD.

My machine is a Sawtooth G4/450 MHz, 896 MB ram, and a half a dozen
HD's.  Do I need to do any upgrades to make it possible or will I be
successful with what I have, just a little slow?

How much storage space do I need?  What sort of resolution is typical?
What hardware to digitize the video/audio? I have an Audiowerk2 sound
card now which is a decent card.

Thanks!
Thomas Martin