[G4] How to Change User Name (was: How to Change computer name)

Al Poulin alpoulin at cox.net
Thu Jan 6 17:13:31 PST 2005

Ah Tim!  I am happy to read of your success.  So you have nerves of
steel.  That's the October '04 issue of MacAddict which I just
retrieved a couple days ago on an inter-library loan within the county.

After reading about MacAddict on another thread, I found that Apple has
an excellent article #106824.  Since the account at issue here is my
Admin account, I'll have to temporarily convert another account to
Admin to execute the change I want.  This will be my first venture into
Terminal, brrr/

On Jan 6, 2005, at 7:02 PM, Tim Collier wrote:

> There was a really neat article in MacAddict a couple of months ago on
> how
> to change the short name (the name that is given to your user folder)
> but it
> is slightly complicated.  If this is what you mean, I'd be more than
> happy
> to share it with you.  I've done the procedure twice now and didn't
> kill the
> computer.
>
> Tim
>

> On 1/6/05 12:44 PM, "jonseward at mindspring.com"
> <jonseward at mindspring.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dick,
>>
>> I might have misunderstood earlier:
>>
>> To change your computer's name open the preferences window, then
>> select
>> 'Sharing'  You can then
>> highlight the name of your computer and type in a new name.  You may
>> lose
>> connectivity from
>> other computers that may be on your network unless you go to them and
>> provide your new name
>> on those computers - I'm too chicken to change my computer's name and
>> then
>> find out...though it
>> should be based on the underlying numerical address...

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God,
proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.