[G4] Re: KeySpan USB Card

Ronald Steinke ronsteinke at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 17:41:06 PST 2005

On 6 Jan, 2005, at 17:05, Mel Krewall wrote:

xlr8yourmac.com has some reports on the site, and it seems that
virtually all USB and FireWire cards cause trouble with deep sleep,
either preventing it or putting CPUs into comas. I had a FireWire card
that would not allow my Quicksilver 2002 to go into deep sleep. I
emailed OWC's tech support about it at the time and they responded that
they did not know of any FireWire cards that did support deep sleep.

Did you notice whether those reports mentioned combination USB/FireWire
cards? I have a PCI combination (3 USB/2 FireWire) card that came out
of a PM 7300/200 that I am considering installing in my G4 Gbit
Ethernet to get more access sockets.

I am a bit limited for electrical outlets near my computer desk and
don't want to use a power strip if I can avoid them. My current setup
has one outlet left available and I could plug in one power converter
for a hub if that is the only alternative. Unfortunately, that would
mean that I have to use an extension power cord for my scanner or any
other external device.