[G4] New hard drive for DP 500 G4

Jonathan I. Nori JIN at destinyimage.com
Fri Jan 7 14:30:33 PST 2005

Hi!

I just bought a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 drive for my Gigabit Ethernet DP 500 G4. Got it in, both OS9 and OSX (10.2 and 10.3) both see it fine.

My problem is that the drive is a 200gb drive, but the all three OSes see it as a 128gb drive. I'm running the most recent firmware on the machine (4.2.8f1).

Neither Apple's support site nor Maxtor's support site were any help in telling me what's wrong here. Is the IDE controller in my G4 *that bad* that it can't recognize space above 128gb?

And if yes, could I replace it with an external firewire drive and still usit for digital video? (Would an external firewire be fast enough?)

Thanks in advance!
Jon  8^)