[G4] Weird OS X problem

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Sat Jan 8 23:29:29 PST 2005

On 01/08/05, "Dennis B. Swaney" <romad at cncnet.com> wrote:

> I came home Thursday night and went to check my mail, do some Quicken
> stuff, and so forth. However, I have a MAJOR problem with my G4 iMac,
> 10.3.7. Just about every third party program crashes on launch and
> generates an error message that have the following in common:
> something about a shared library error and the a string that looks
> like this: "<...><CarbonLib><CFMPriv_QD><>"  Where the ellipses (...)
> are in the example, the text varies. The iMac worked fine Thursday
> morning.
>
> Any ideas as to what is causing this? I've repaired permissions, ran
> the cron scripts. I also tried it on a test admin account with the
> same errors. My next idea was to re-run the 10.3.7 update, or, maybe
> better, do an Archive & Install of 10.3 and then just update to 10.3.6

Since the problem persists with a new admin account, then something's amiss
with the System OS.

Try the 10.3.7 combo updater first. If that doesn't fix things, then do the
A&I of 10.3 and run SW Update to bring it back to 10.3.7-much better than
10.3.6, if you follow Apple's recommended steps, especially WRT FW HDs.