[G4] Substitution fonts

jonseward at mindspring.com jonseward at mindspring.com
Fri Jan 14 11:30:25 PST 2005

Hi Tony,

Did you have a prompt that permitted you to cancel the 'copy' action?

The only fonts you might need to move are those which are in conflict with
the new software's
fonts.  You can select multipple files by click-dragging over the icons.
Click again and drag the
group of selected fonts out of your font suitcase and into a new folder you
made for this purpose.
The option key turns a 'move' into a 'copy' command.  Sounds like you've
doubled the number of
font files in your suitcase.  The duplicates should be identified with a
'.1' in their names, and
otherwise be identical to the original font folders.  You can delete the
copies.

Your original post didn't say whether you were presented with any other
options past the point
where you were notified that you had conflicting, older font files.  Often
the installer will identify
and move the unneeded fonts, say into an 'old fonts' folder or similar,
without your needing to do
all of this by hand.

You can learn a lot about the way your Mac operates by using the 'Help'
function located in your
tool bar and also a key command of '(apple/commandkey)(?key)' to open Help.
You can then type
in a plain language question or keywords and sort through the the resulting
help topics displayed.
I've also found that the manual that ships with the computer and some mass
market help guides
have gotten me out of problems.  Apple's web site also offers a large
library of assistance, from
papers, to tutorials, to animations of various subjects.  Always worth a
try.

HTH,

jon