[G4] [OT] wrong Java version running???

Alex lists at lexial.ca
Sat Jul 2 16:29:34 PDT 2005

On Jul 2, 2005, at 11:43, Dennis B. Swaney wrote:

> At 8:51 AM -0400 7/2/05, Alex wrote:
>
>> The conclusion is mistaken. Prior to Tiger, Safari does not use a
>> Java plug-in. Under Tiger, the only Java plug-in Safari uses is J2SE
>> v5 (if it is installed). See "Java Deployment Options for Mac OS X".
>
> Sorry, Alex, but I'm using Panther 9 and I DO have the plugins.

There's nothing to be sorry for -- if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. But -- I'm
not. Check again what I posted, or read the reference I gave. I didn't
say you didn't have the plugins -- I said Safari doesn't use them.

Here's my understanding of Java in Panther, based on Apple's docs:

Java 1.3.1 Embedding Framework -- legacy framework, used by MS Internet
Explorer
Java 1.3.1 Framework -- Java VM support for apps which require
specifically this version
Java 1.3.1 Plug-in -- Java support for Carbon browsers (Mach-O)
Java 1.3.1 Plug-in (CFM) -- Java support for Carbon browsers (PEF)
Java 1.4.2 Framework -- Java VM support for all apps, except those
which require a specific version
Java 1.4.2 Plug-in (Cocoa) -- Java support for Cocoa browsers and apps
which do not use the framework directly

Safari doesn't use any of the plug-ins, because it uses the Java 1.4.2
Framework, and does not support version 1.3.1. The 1.3.1 plug-ins are
used by Mozilla-based browsers (e.g., Netscape); the 1.4.2 plug-in is
used only by Cocoa apps (e.g., Applet Launcher).

<0x0192>