[G4] Problem after installing iPhoto 05 as upgrade

Raymond E. Hardy rhardy27 at comcast.net
Tue Jul 12 10:14:32 PDT 2005

I used to believe iPhoto 4 was about as good an organizer as we could hope
for - but NOW - After installing iLife 05 as an upgrade I was asked to allow
iPhoto 05  convert the iPhoto library, containing about 4000 images, for use
by the new version. The result was NO images, just gray thumbnails.
Fortunately there was a library backup on my new internal "slave" drive and
I sought help from Apple Tech. I've kinda lost track of all that we did with
Apple's guidance but - We made a copy of the Library and copied it to the
2nd drive > downloaded and installed the Apple site's latest version upgrade
for iPhoto 05  > and started iPhoto 05 by clicking on the iPhoto 05 icon and
adding the Apple key and Option key. This resulted in a dialog box which
suggested "rebuilding" the iPhoto 05 Library, 2 kinds of thumbnails and
something else. The result, after a long bit of computer processing was a
few recent images and still lots of gray thumbnnails. The third call to
Apple tech suggested a redo of the same procedures and yielded most of the
original Library's images minus a few which probably were "contaminated". We
then had about 3800 images that looked familiar but were NOT ORGANIZED BY
ROLL and an additional 3800 thumbnails which were gray but were ORGANIZED by
roll - the left bottom info box said I now had almost 8000 images. So
finally Apple Tech thought the best thing to do was to delete all the gray
images.

NOW!
I've lost all the images improvements and time that I had achieved using
Photoshop and the "roll" organization that I found was helpful. Each image
does contain the info about the "roll" and the image number the camera adds.
Additionally the rather loose promise Apple held out for the 05 upgrade was
its acceptance of RAW file images - BUT sadly, this amenity doesn't work
with my new Canon Power Shot S70 camera.

Can anyone help me  restore the image organization which displays, in the
main Library panel, for each roll, a line with the Roll's number, and date,
followed on the next line(s) by its related images?
I'll be very grateful.

Disenchanted with iPhoto 05.
Ray Hardy