[G4] Updates do not fix my DVD playback

John Baltutis baltwo at san.rr.com
Wed Jul 13 20:30:13 PDT 2005

On 07/13/05, Gregory Cortelyou <chefgreg at mac.com> wrote:

> I did the update to 10.4.2 and also the specific DVD player patch but
> still no luck playing DVDs on my G4 400. Was wondering if any of the
> others on the list who had the problem got any different result. I
> guess I am going to have to replace the Radeon 8500 with a newer
> card. Seems like the consensus is that's the problem.

Whose consensus might that be?

Then, "Daniel Brieck Jr." <djbrieck at mac.com> followed up with:

> Yeah, Computer locked up.  Putting a DVD in the drive  caused the
> Apple DVD player to auto-launch and yes seeming crash or near halt
> the computer I was not waiting all day for it to be sure. But after
> the problem still remains, no DVD movie playback as well with the
> Apple "Quality" DVD player and the ATI Radeon 8500 upgrade.
>
> Who is the blame for this problem? Apple? ATI? or US? Buying a new
> graphics card is a bit ridiculous since we paid for the 8500 update
> not to long ago, and it is not a bad card that needs immediate
> replacement like the Rage 128 that came with the computer...

Don't know what to tell you. 10.4.2 w/DVD Playback Update (4.6.1) on a G4,
450 MP, with ATI Rage 128 Pro card (stock issue) just loaded and played the
Bourne Supremcy DVD movie without any problem. Also, didn't have any DVD
problems for almost a year while beta-testing Tiger. Maybe, it's time to
check the hardware with the Apple Hardware Test and reinstalling the OS, if
the hardware passes the extended tests. It's not an OS or graphics card
problem at this location.