[G4] 8X burns VS. 16X burns

Harry Freeman harry at gifutiger.com
Fri Jul 15 17:48:48 PDT 2005

Greetings ( + )!( + )

On Jul 15, 2005, at 5:39 PM, Kevin Willis wrote:

On Jul 15, 2005, at 8:34 PM, James Pacyga wrote:

I wouldn't expect so.  Supposedly any controller ATA-3 and above can
use the 80 pin cable, but don't hold me to it.

jim

Well, I just bought a 100 pack of 16X DVD's, so I reckon I'll be
picking up a cable to make it worth the extra money I spent on the
disks.  Thanks for the info.

Thanks,

Kevin
In the ATA/ATAPI-4 standard that introduced the Ultra DMA transfer mode
set, a new cable was introduced to replace the old standby: the
80-conductor IDE/ATA cable. The name is important: the new cable has 80
conductors (wires)--it does not have 80 pins on each connector, though,
just 40. This means that the new cable is pin-compatible with the old
drive. No change has been made to the IDE/ATA connectors, aside from
the color-coding issue (see below).

The obvious question, of course, is this: what's the point of adding 40
extra wires to a cable if they aren't connected to anything? :^) Well
for starters, the 40 wires are connected to something, just not their
own pins on the interface connectors. The extra 40 wires don't carry
new information, they are just used to separate the "real" 40 signal
wires, to reduce interference and other signaling problems associated
with higher-speed transfers. So the 40 extra conductors are connected
to ground, interspersed between the original 40 conductors of the old
cable. Any stray signals that would "cross-talk" between adjacent wires
on the 40-conductor cable are "absorbed" by these extra ground wires,
improving signal integrity. The extra ground wires can be either all of
the even-numbered wires, or all of the odd-numbered wires in the cable.

Best Regards, /\*_*/\

Harry (*^_^*)
I know, when people see a cat's litter box, they always say, "Oh, have
you got a cat?"Ê Just once I want to say, "No, it's for company!"