[G4] G4 MDD HD ?

Daniel Brieck Jr. djbrieck at mac.com
Sun Jul 17 14:16:51 PDT 2005

Dan,

Why not just use the built-in ethernet to transfer your data. Both of
your computers have ethernet ports?

So all you really need is a  ethernet cable, you can get one for less
than $5.00. It may be a little slower than the firewire method, but
it will get done what you want done and you will not have to add any
PCI firewire cards to your G3(which are not exactly cheap) for a one
time file transfer. In general all you need to do is plug in the
ethernet cable (looks like a wide telephone cord jack) into the G3
and the other end into the G4. Turn on file sharing and you are all
set to transfer files.

Here is some help from apple on how to copy files between computers.
This tells you what you have to do to set this up.

Good luck and let us know if you have any questions or trouble.

More Options Below  regarding the SCSI drive.........

Daniel J. Brieck Jr.
------------------------------
Note:  To others,

The beige G3's do not have firewire ports, the first macs to have
firewire was probably the Blue and white G3's.
-----------------------------
On Jul 17, 2005, at 11:37 AM, Dan A Currie, Jr wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> Survived Dennis ... even though a bulls eye was painted on my house?
>
> Have an "unusual" question.
>
> I would like to install ALL my files from my Beige G3/500 running
> OS 10.3 to my MDD running Tiger.  The HD in my G3 is a SCSI.  Could
> I reset the jumpers to slave and install it in my G$, copy files
> and then remove it back to the G3?

No you can't connect a SCSI drive to an ATA controller. Two different
beasts there... You would need a SCSI card in your G4 to connect a
SCSI drive to it. So unless you have a SCSI card that you put into
the G4 you can't put the SCSI hard drive from the G3 into the G4 to
transfer files.

I did some research from everymac.com and it turns out that since
your G3 has a SCSI hard drive it is powered by a removable PCI SCSI
card that you could remove and install into the G4 to transfer the
files. And since it is working on the G3 on 10.3 it must be
compatible with os X so it should work as well temporarily in the G4
with 10.4. So with this option you would have to remove the SCSI card
and hard drive from the G3 and then install both into the G4 to do
the file transfer.

So it is up to you what you want to do, but I would go with the
ethernet networking option it is much easier to do and will take less
of your time and energy to set up...